Saturday, March 5, 2011

A Favorite Place



Most everyone has a favorite place - the place you dream about when the snow is flying and it is 20 degrees below.

The Arizona Inn is that place for me. It was built in the 1930's by a Congresswoman who wanted to help provide a place of privacy, quiet and sunshine for her guests. Even today it has almost no signs so you have to know where to go to find it.

The grounds are so wonderfully kept and as you watch the guests you notice how they try to take it all in as they walk along the paths to little houses inside the complex.

Sitting at this pool having breakfast is that place I dream about in January. We have shared this place with some of you reading this blog. One of my fond memories is my mother and I eating here when she would take me to the airport in the days when she lived in her condo and I was heading home after a visit with her.
When we walk into the front reception and meeting rooms I always expect to see John Wayne coming around the corner.
We aren't seeing a lot of desert flowers in bloom but at the Arizona Inn they plant other kinds that line the pathways.
I highly recommend this place for a quiet retreat.

4 comments:

Marsha said...

These great pictures of this beautiful place bring back memories of having breakfast with you several years ago by the pool.

Rob and Carrie said...

So fun!

Anonymous said...

I remember being there with you and how beautiful and peaceful it was. I think that was the same trip when Den walked into a cactus while we were checking out a house!

Cia said...

It was so fun seeing your pictures of the Inn and then getting an email from Laurel saying this is where they will be having Alex's graduation dinner in May. Sure hope I can get the time off from school so we can go!

A Summer Evening Drive

A couple nights ago our neighbor (Sandra) came knocking on our door and asked if we'd like to go out for a ride in "The Chevy"...